With the Indian Independence Day coming up on Saturday 15th August, here are some songs that inspire a sense of patriotism for listeners. The list ranges from classical Carnatic to Hindi and Bengali songs.
- Bharatha Samudayam, a composition of the fiery Tamil poet Subramania Bharathi is presented by his grandson Rajkumar Bharathi
- Samarasa Bhavana Bharatha a composition of Mayuram Viswanatha Shastry is sung by G.N.Balasubramanium
3. A Concert of Patriotic Songs is presented by Vijay Siva, Gayatri (of Ranjani-Gayatri) J. Vaidhyanathan and Suresh Vaidhyanathan to commemorate the golden anniversary of the Indian Independence.
4. Vande Mataram in raag Desh written by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee is sung by Pandit Bhimsen Joshi.
5. Dhano Dhano Pushpo Bhora, a Bengali song written by Dwijendralal Roy in the late 19th century during the freedom struggle is sung by M.S. Subbulakshmi.
5. Ae Mere Watan Ke Logo is a Hindi song written by Kavi Pradeep, composed by C. Ramchandra and sung by Lata Mangeshkar.
6. Maa Tujhe Salaam is a song from the album Vande Mataram that won a Grammy for the composer A.R. Rahman. The composer is believed to have been inspired by his mother while composing the song.